Monday, August 24, 2009

First day of public school

Technically Kati has already had a first day of school. In the state of Texas you have to be five years old by September 1st to enter Kindergarten. Last year Kati was completely ready to start but missed the cut off day by 11 days. Homeschooling was our plan anyway so we just started early. Little did we know that the cut off is always the 1st. So for first grade you must be six, second grade you must be seven and so on all the way through high school. Therefore our Bug will be doing Kindergarten again. It will be good for her, she can use the social skills.

In the past "public school" was like a cuss word to Kati. It was something people only whispered and everyone else gasped at. But when we proposed the idea again she seemed okay and when I mentioned new clothes she was on board. (if she didn't look like me I might not think she was mine)

For the last week she has literally been counting down the days. When I opened the bathroom door this morning, before six, there she stood. I had to send the starry eyed girl back to bed. Not long after she was out of bed again. When I finally called her to get up at 6:30 she sprang out of that bed.

It wasn't too long before she started to change. My sweet girl was getting very crabby. At one point I saw her kick Bear's chair at breakfast. That was it. I called peace, everyone had to get along I said. I pulled her aside and asked what was going on. My baby broke into tears....

She said she was scared. She has never been to school she says so she doesn't know what she is scared of just scared. We cuddled up and prayed for peace and comfort and for a special friend. That set her back on track.

All loaded up to go...
My oh my, she is far to big.


Someone, I won't say who, got all teary eyed when Bug read her paper out loud.
Bug is at a table full of boys. I think that is probably in her best interest, if it was all girls she would probably gab the day away.

We finally left after we and the other parents were kicked out. I can't wait to pick her up and hear all about her day.

2 comments:

Alicia {Murry Mayhem} said...

Bless her heart! I hope school goes well for her, it can be so scary for our kiddos!

Rachel Moss said...

Yay, another Bug! I taught kinder for 6 years, and I hope your little one comes to love school.